You are browsing the web and accidentally land on a website with nonsensical characters instead of letters and you receive a prompt to download a missing font in order to read the website. You are told in order to fix the error and display the text, you have to update the “Chrome Font Pack”. Whatever you do, please do not click that blue Update button!
It is a scam designed to trick users into installing malware onto their systems. This malware is ranging from Ransomware, to Trojans, to various adware bundles.
How to avoid it
The fake dialogue box informing you that the “The HoeflerText Font Wasn’t Found” will claim you are using Chrome version 53 even if you are not using that version, which tells you something isn’t right and that the prompt you are seeing is fake.
Make sure you are using the latest version of Google Chrome which you can download by clicking here
We want to remind everyone that tax season is the time of increased attacks in the forms of spyware, various methods of phishing , and scams. Spyware and Malware authors significantly increase their activity during the tax season in order to try to steal data and withdraw money from bank accounts, steal credit cards, passwords, and other malicious acts.
During this tax season its important to do a few things to help protect yourself online:
1) Make sure your Operating System and software applications such as web browsers and email clients are up to date.
2) Run a Complete Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware regularly with the latest updates, at least twice a week during this period of increased activity.
3) Be cautious before visiting strange websites, or opening strange email attachments. Think before you click!
4) Manually erase, or use privacy software, to delete sensitive data from you PC. Spyware cannot steal what isn’t there!
5) Lookout for spam phishing email impersonating government, bank, or tax company officials asking for sensitive information.
Do you have any security recommendations that help you stay safe during the tax season? Feel free to leave a comment below!